We have been hugely impressed by people's creativity in rising to the Getty Museum Challenge. We then thought about the most complex painting you could attempt to reproduce. It didn't take long before we arrived at The Garden of Earthly Delights in the Museo del Prado in Madrid. All three panels of the triptych of course.
Then it struck us that at this time it would be a fantastic opportunity for world wide co-operation (or maybe competition?)
Here's one recipe we came up with in a few minutes:
- Create a high resolution version of the painting on a website (respecting all copyright requirements!)
- Divide the painting into all of its many, many many pictorial elements (as indicated roughly in the image below)
- Encourage collaborators and contributors to upload their version of as many or few elements as they wish
- Allow visitors to the site to click on an element to see all versions that people have uploaded for that element
- Allow visitors to the site to save a copy of their favourite combination(s) of elements.
So, developers and photographers around the world. Start collaborating!